You want flawless hair and makeup for the big day! Here are 27 questions to ask when choosing a hair and makeup artist, so you’ll know that you’re working with someone who can execute your vision.
Natural glow or glitzed-up glam? Boho waves or a sleek up do? Whatever your preferences, you’ll need a hair and makeup artist that can execute your vision with stunning results.
But not all hair and makeup artists are exactly the same! Some specialize in big and bold looks, and some excel at subtly highlighting your gorgeous features. Here are 27 questions to ask when choosing a hair and makeup artist:
1. Do you do both hair and makeup? Do you hire out for one of these services?
2. Have you worked on brides and bridal parties before?
3. What looks or styles are your speciality?
4. Can you achieve the look I want? Will I need extensions, etc.?
5. Is there a place where I can see your work? (Check out our Preferred Vendor page!)
6. Have you worked with clients that have similar skin tones/skin conditions as me?
7. Have you worked with clients that have similar hair to mine?
8. Have you worked on clients that share my ethnic background?
9. Have you worked with clients who are around the same age as me?
10. What products do you use?
11. Do you do airbrushing?
12. Do you apply false lashes?
13. What are your sanitary practices?
14. Do you do hair extensions?
15. What’s your rate for brides/bridal party/mothers?
16. What does your rate include? Are there any discounts based on size of party or other factors?
17. Do you travel? Do you charge a travel fee?
18. Do you do trials? What does a trial entail? Do you travel for trials?
19. Can you stay for the ceremony/reception for touchups? What is your rate for that?
20. Is there a deposit required to secure my date?
21. Is there a contract?
22. What types of payment do you accept? Are there any payment plans available?
23. Are you available on my date? Are you available at the time I’ll need you to start?
24. How many weddings do you do a day?
25. Do you work with assistants/other artists?
26. What are your backup plans in case of emergency or unexpected illness?
27. Approximately how long will it take to complete services for my party?