Maybe COVID has derailed your international honeymoon, or perhaps you’d just prefer to stay closer to home, these are some of our favorite mini-moon getaways right here in the US.
Nothing is better after saying “I do” than kicking back for some rest and relaxation with your new spouse. Every couple deserves some uninterrupted time together to take a breather before the wedding gifts are unpacked and the thank-you notes are mailed. Travel may look a bit different these days, especially given the state of the world, but there are plenty of domestic destinations which can provide the adventure, relaxation, or sightseeing you’re looking for. Here’s your no passport required guide to the best mini-moon!
1. Nantucket, Massachusetts: The perfect place for relaxation and sightseeing. Nantucket is a New England island that remains connected to its Quaker roots and charm. Offering island beaches, lighthouses, bike paths, museums, cobblestoned streets, and plenty of mom and pop shops to explore. This is truly the place to be if you are in search of a mini-moon location with a slowed-down pace, beautiful scenery, and seafood galore!
Where to stay: Harborview Nantucket allows you to enjoy quaint Nantucket Island living and the luxuries of a resort hotel in the privacy of your own personal cottage. Rental cottages offer easy access to all of the amenities that Nantucket has to offer.
2. Key West, Florida: Looking for the best place for alone time and adventure? Key West is Florida’s irreverent southernmost subtropical paradise. Known for its pastel-hued, conch-style houses, and its beautiful coral reef destinations for diving and snorkeling. Key West offers a unique history, climate, cultural diversity, natural beauty, and romantic appeal.
Where to stay: Casa Marina is a gorgeous Waldorf Astoria Resort nestled along the southern edge of the island and overlooking more than 1,100 feet of beach reserved exclusively for hotel guests. These beautiful accommodations allow you to do everything or nothing at all! Lounge by the pool or enjoy a couple’s massage by the ocean, the possibilities are endless!
3. Sedona, Arizona: In search of a unique location that offers wellness and adventure for your mini-moon? Look no further than Sedona, Arizona. Enjoy a morning at the spa and an afternoon exploring the red-rock canyons. Sedona is known for its vibrant arts community and is dense with New Age shops, spas, and art galleries. It is also internationally known for the uplifting powers of its Vortex meditation sites, and who doesn’t need a little meditation after all that wedding planning?
Where to stay: Enchantment Resort is nestled at the base of Boynton Canyon and spans across 70 acres. It offers recently refreshed casitas and suites perfect for any newly married couple! Whether you’re looking for an adventurous mountain bike ride or a mindful moment spent by the pool, the experiences at this resort are endless!
4. Savannah, Georgia: Known for its manicured parks, horse-drawn carriages, and historic architecture, Savannah is a coastal Georgia city separated from South Carolina by the Savannah River. If you’re looking for a location rich in history, this is it! Take an Old Savannah Trolley Tour, visit the Historic Savannah Theatre, and don’t leave until you’ve checked out Forsyth Park where you’ll find 30 acres of trees, flowers, and other foliage.
Where to stay: The perfect choice for special romantic occasions, The Gastonian is an award-winning Bed & Breakfast in one of Savannah’s residential neighborhoods near Forsyth Park. It is within easy walking distance to a number of city squares which offer much to see, as well as beautiful photo opportunities of elegantly restored homes and gated gardens!
5. Greenough, Montana: Greenough is a ranching community located in Blackfoot Valley. Newlyweds can enjoy water activities such as fly fishing, go horseback riding, or explore Garnet Ghost Town, a preserved 1890’s gold mining town home to compact log cabins with period furnishings. Don’t forget to stargaze at night! This is the perfect location for any outdoorsy couple!
Where to stay: The Resort at Paws Up is a luxury Montana mountain resort situated on a sprawling 37,000-acre authentic working cattle ranch in Western Montana. What makes this resort unique is that you can choose between an expensive private home or a sophisticated, safari-style luxury tent. Paws Up offers an unfiltered connection with the natural beauty of Montana where you can experience adventure every day with your new spouse!